Tuesday 3 April 2012

So, what I'm looking at here is catching up with the fashion for top knots. I know right? I'm about a year too late, but look at it this was: big noses, swept back hair and high buns don't mix. Or do they? I want something to rival my constant wishes for 1940s retro sets in the summer, that will allow me to keep the cool breeze on my overheated neck, without spending hours devoted to the tongs and using more setting lotion than my Gran would think reasonable.

I think I've got it.

The answer is: No brushing and PINS. All these years of school girl buns had made me forget what the 90s had taught me:
1. Wash your hair with a thoroughly cleansing shampoo. Something that leaves your hair a little soft and flyaway.
2. blow dry using you fingers tilting your head upside down to get maximum roots lift (I like to use a little mouse, or salt spray, but if your hair's thick you won't need to.) 
3. Now, here's the bit I wasn't used to; when your hair's dry don't brush it smooth. Keeping your head tilted forward gather your hair into a high ponytail and gently twist and tuck the hair under with pins pulling a few strands out to soften your face (This also balances out the harshness of my rather meaty conk).
4. If you need to, lightly pull a few strands out of the style at the hairline. You can also smooth over with a brush to catch any flyaways. Don't forget hairspray.

All that time brushing my hair smooth I forgot how nice it is to be a little messy!

No comments:

Post a Comment